Welcome to this week’s edition of "Just a few things," a weekly blog dedicated to sharing a few things I've been doing, thinking, reading or learning throughout the week. Many of these things are inspired by my interactions with you via email or social media, so feel free to drop a comment and share a few things yourself! Let’s get to it.
What was I reminded of this week?
That we’re all human and we’re all going through our own trials and tribulations. I’m usually pretty good at keeping this frame of mind, but every now and then a project or situation clouds my judgement and I see only the work, not the person doing the work.
The military played a big role in learning this early on. It was evident when leadership viewed us as “bodies” and when they viewed us as “people.” The leaders who more often than not saw us as people always had the most respect across the team/company and we would bend over backwards to get done what had to be done. This is something I carry with me today. As I type this I realize the most concise word for this is simply “empathy.”
Has something surprised me this week?
As a matter of fact, yes! When you purchase something from Combat Flags you will always receive a brief “thank you” via email and this week (the last few weeks, really) I’ve received SO MANY replies to those thank you emails with people sharing their stories, sharing their families stories and simply telling me how they found out about Combat Flags. I love it. It puts such a BIG smile on my face to learn more about your stories and, selfishly, to hear about the meaning you find in Combat Flags.
What am I working on for Combat Flags right now?
Oye, buckle up and grab a snack because we could be here for a while... but I’ll keep it quick. Short answer is SO MUCH. And honest answer is SO MUCH that I feel like I’m not doing any of it particularly well. I’ve been a bit under the weather this week and that slowed down my early morning productivity. This is a quick (not comprehensive) list:
- Uniform tear down (1 new addition, 2 HUGE totes of old material)
- This blog (Just a Few Things)
- Restarting the BlogOps Veteran Spotlights
- Working on a new design for... something? The “something” is still TBD, but I’ve had a lot of fun working the art for this.
- Cutting the flag overlays for the Original Combat Flags
- Shipping out orders (I’m terrible at ordering supplies BEFORE I need them. Last week I ran out of the mailers and plastic bags I use for the Original Combat flags and am backlogged on shipping out orders because of it)
If you need to know 1 thing about Combat Flags this week, what is it?
I’ve got 3 things for you. Rule breaker, I know.
Original Combat Flags are back in stock. Marine Corps, Air Force and Navy are all available. Army to return soon.
- I added some very cool hats to the store this week. They’re a wool blend flexfit cap with a leather American Flag patch sewn to the front and a small Combat Flags tag sewn on the back of each cap. They come in a dark heather, coyote and navy blue. Personally, I think they’re very cool as they have a classic vibe to them.
- Like I mentioned above, I’m working to revive my BlogOps Veteran Spotlight series. If you’re serving in the military or if you’re a veteran head over to the BlogOps contribution page and share you’re story! My goal through this series is to create a first-of-its-kind chronicle of voices and stories of U.S. active duty, reservists, national guard and veterans around the world. Blog Ops execution will result in a library of stories and firsthand accounts that can be shared with friends, family and future generations.
Now tell me something that happened, was memorable, that you learned, whatever you want, from your week!
This is my favorite part :) Leave a comment with something about your week.
I’ve also got lots of cool stuff up in the store. If you haven’t checked it out in a while, swing by and check out some freedom!
Old Glory Collection
Army / Air Force Collection
Marine Corps Collection
Navy / Coast Guard Collection
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Just a Few Things
Welcome to this week’s edition of "Just a few things," a weekly blog dedicated to sharing a few thoughts on things I think you could find interesting as well as a few things I've been reading, learning or contemplating during the week.
But really, I've got some exciting things in the works for Combat Flags right now. From commissioning an artist I greatly admire to create a host of new logos and artwork to a shift in the Original Combat Flags... lots of good things.
Most of you know about Operation Overlord - the codename for the D-Day invasion of Normandy. But how many of you know about Operation Fortitude? Operation Fortitude is often overlooked, but it played a crucial role in splitting the German defenses and moving massive numbers of German troops from the shores of Normandy either inland or toward Calais and Norway.